Project Roadmap

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Now that the core functionality is starting to stabilize, I'd like to figure out which parts of the Tapatalk API I should tackle next.

Personally, I'm leaning towards trying to integrate core messaging with the Tapatalk PM system. Core messaging seems to map nicely into Tapatalk's "Conversation" style PM's, so I believe it will work well.

I'm open to input on what to focus on next.
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2013 at 5:17 AM
Whatever you think. You are doing us a favor. I cant suggest anything right now because its not working on my website currently. However, once it works, I may request you to consider few features.

I will however like to request you to focus on AF if you want to take a little break from Tapatalk. Especially the daily digest. AF had that feature before so the code is there. Maybe Will might share the code with you.

Thanks.
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
In order of rilevance (for me)

1) Show images attached to a topic.
2) Show HTML format
3) Show correctly special chars (!"£$%&/()=èòàì')
4) Show users avatars
5) Manage the section in Tapatalk client "show subscript posts"
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Skiank,

Items #1 - #4 should already be working. In fact, they are working on your site for me using the iPhone client. It's possible that I introduced a new bug on the Android side of things in the most recent update. I'll take a look at it tonight and make sure it all works properly on both clients. One thing you might try is forcing a quit of the Tapatalk app and reloading the site config again. It almost sounds like your client has an old version of the Tapatalk config cached.

Item #5 is on the to-do list.

Thanks for the feedback.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:26 AM
I finished up the Subscribed Forums/Topics functionality tonight but I haven't pushed up a new beta yet. I'm going to try and get "Unread" and "Participated" working before I push up anything new.
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2013 at 1:16 AM
The 0.0.7 Beta will support the Tapatalk client search functionality. However, it will require Active Forums 5.0.4 which will be going into beta soon.
Mar 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I'll update my site to DNN 7.0.4 early with the AF5.0.3 and I'll install the beta 0.0.6 in production to test it better.
Unfortunatly the upgrade is a hard work for me. I've the site with SQL tables on dbo schema. But the user used by DNN is not owner of dbo schema and I can't upgrade online. I need to download DB & DNN on my local PC. Upgrade the site (on my PC I can use "sa") and then reload all to the ISP. This situation is due to migration from a private web server to a shared SQL services.

Now I'm testing on various versions here: dnndemo.azurewebsites.net
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Ouch, that does sound like a pain. If it's any consolation, their is more reason to upgrade than just the Tapatalk module. I don't think that it's likely that there will be any more Active Forums releases that support 6.2.
Mar 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
jbrunken wrote:
Ouch, that does sound like a pain. If it's any consolation, their is more reason to upgrade than just the Tapatalk module. I don't think that it's likely that there will be any more Active Forums releases that support 6.2.
I know I know.... I've already tested all my site on a 7.0.3 and work properly and I'll upgrade soon...
May 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I would like to see the PM and Profile View features to be high on the list!

This is a great add on by the way and I really appreciate all the work that has been going into Active Forums and the Tapatalk API.
Coordinator
May 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I did start working on the profile and PM functionality. Unfortunately, I ran into issue where there is a disconnect between Tapatalk and Active Forums. In most cases, the tapatalk API accepts both a "username" and "userid" property. Depending on it's configuration, Active Forum may send the DNN Username, DNN Display name or some combination of first name/last name. Only the DNN username is guarantied to be unique (the display name may also be unique if it's configured that way in DNN).

So.. That means that DNN needs to use the userid rather than the username. This should be no problem according to the Tapatalk API, BUT it's not. The problem is that few (if any) of the tapatalk client apps actually pass the userid field properly. This really throws a wrench in the gears.

It can be made to work, but it will only work in situations where AF is configured to user the DNN username, or the DNN display names (provided DNN is configured for unique display names).

I've talked to the people at Tapatalk about this and they acknowledged that ti's a problem and they claim that the clients will be updated to send the userid somtime in the near future (whatever that means).

-JB
May 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I'm following you...
Jul 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM
There have been several Tapatalk updates lately. Are they passing the UserId yet?
Jul 21, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Here are some of the comments from my forum's tapatalk user.

1: doesn't let you post anonymously
2: doesn't let you see the names of people who post anonymously
3: clinking on hyperlinks is impossible;
4: if you click on the top right button to give you more options, there's not even an option to open the page you're viewing in the browser. So if you want to work around problems 1-3, you. Have to start from scratch on a browser.

Jason, I know you have been busy but do you have some time this summer? Just a little? Please? Thanks.
Jul 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM
The first is a problem with permissions that I've been tracking down. We finally got it fixed where a forum that is restricted to a specific DNN role isn't available to registered users not in that role. It was prior.

I'm still trying to put the fix into something that makes sense. I also have been trying to track down whether it was a result of my migration from DNN forum to AF so thats unknown still. The other strange thing is that it effected other things not just tapatalk. FOr instance I had 1 user who wasn't able to see ANYTHING in active forums, either on tapatalk or in a browser.

Question but how would you see the names of people who post anonymously? Isn't that the purpose by definition? Or are you meaning non-registered users?

I have been able to get photos and hyperlinks to work no problem. The only issue I'm seeing really is that pictures are freaking huge when you post via tapatalk but go back to AF on browser.

I just posted a link on a topic titled Poll Test under Water Cooler forum on activeforums.org

From my iphone I'm able to click on it and it opens in mobile safari. Not sure if it has anything to do with it but I set it to open in a new window _blank

I'm going to paste some of what we have found out and what my developer said and explain the issues we were having. I will need to omit certain data for my piece of mind. Please know that I am NOT technical at all when it comes to some of this. I'm just passing this information along hoping it will help someone else.

So initially the issues that I saw was 2 things.

First I have a few forums in a group that are set to announcement forums. Basically admins can post and nobody else. Only read and subscribe. What I noticed was that a few people were actually starting to reply to these. Then I noticed that the only way they could reply was via tapatalk. Not from browser.

One day shortly after I saw the above, I had a user contact me. He was previously authorized, but was under punishment and was unauthorized from the websites. He was banned when the site was 5.6.7 and DNN Forums 5.0.2 and reinstated after the upgrade to DNN 7.0.6 and AF 5.0.4 beta 4. He got back on the forum and was catching up. He saw that tapatalk was available, and downloaded. Got on the forum via tapatalk and was able to browse a little.

Within 12 hours he was not able to use tapatalk any more, and when logging on via browser, NOTHING showed up except for the table header basically. I tested this on another machine and got the same results. Tested with other users of the same permissions and was able to use the forum just fine.

Keep in mind that I have converted this over from DNN forum using Christoc's script. I don't think that its necessarily his script that is the issue, but maybe how AF interacts with the converted data? Still testing to see why this happens.

The solution ended up being the same solution to fix both problems. My developer was focusing on correcting the issue for the user but the by-product was it corrected tapatalk respecting forum permissions. Here was some of his response:

Hi Seth,

I got that issue with Peanut fixed. Once debugging environment got setup it was relatively easy to fix that trouble.

We have a table named activeforums_Forums_Tracking, and from what i know till now it is to keep track of the 'Read' and 'Not Read' status of topics. It should have only 1 row for userid and forumid combination. But something caused a duplicate row for user "peanut" and forum "Security Announcements" combination.

Due to above duplicate data one of the stored procedure named "activeforums_UI_ForumView" malfunctioned, I have made a small fix in it to cope up with such instances. i explored tapatalk and active foums code to find any instance that can create such duplicate data but didn't found anything.

While writing this I can see another issue for Peanut. Records under security announcements forum are coming twice. I'll check this after having some food, most probably by time you will wake up, you will get Peanut working fine :)

So I got another response in the morning when I woke up:

As expected this duplicate records issue is again due to that duplicate record only and this time I don't want to make some dirty fix for this as these are more of like timebombs that bite us at some unknown point of time. So I suggest to delete this record.

Below are SQL lines that we need to remove that bad data

--Query 1: Check if bad data is present, for any user and forum combination
SELECT, COUNT(*)
FROM dbo.activeforums_Forums_Tracking
group by ForumId, UserId
having COUNT(*) > 1

--Get Id of records which have bad data
SELECT TrackingId
FROM dbo.activeforums_Forums_Tracking
WHERE ForumId = <from above> AND UserId = <from above>

--Punish culprit record
delete from dbo.activeforums_Forums_Tracking WHERE TrackingId = <>

I ran this on my local system and things seem to be fine. I'll run this once you get up, so that after I run this we can quickly check that deleting this record hasn't impacted anything else. If it does I'll revert it.

Let me know, when can we go for this.

I'm hoping that this information will possibly help out someone else. It definitely did for me. We still have a few issues with some settings not sticking and I'm working on figuring out those. For instance if I turn on HTML editor and Default DNN Editor, and then go in and change this for another forum group, i come back and it doesn't stick. Its back to basic. Just haven't had time to work with my developer or forum to test this to see why it happens. I think I'll try to find this discussion over on af codeplex and post a link here.